Saturday, February 22, 2020

the Gardener

I love when God teaches me a lesson using things in my daily life. This morning, as I was tending to my plants, the comparisons between the work at hand and how He cares for us struck me.
When I am in constant care of my plants, and they are receiving the water and food and pruning they need, they grow and flourish. Some need bright, direct light, while others need a gentle diffused light. Some do better separated from the crowd, yet still close enough to interact with one another. Others love to be in a group, allowing the water to flow from one another and their leaves to become intertwined. Sometimes I have to prune one hard in order to help it grow. Some need a gentle hand, while others need a firmer one. When one is sick or struggling to live, I have to give them extra attention. Sometimes I lose one, and I am very, very sad.
As God cares for us, He knows what we need before we even need it. When we are connected to Him, we grow and flourish. He sent us living water in the form of Jesus, and food for our souls in the form of the Bible, to ensure that growth. He shines a light for us all to reflect, but gives the perfect amount of light for each of us to flourish. He brings people into our lives because we need each other. When we are all connected together, and our arms are intertwined with His, that living water flows from one to the next in the form of grace and mercy. He also prunes us when we need to grow, and while oftentimes it hurts, it is so good for our growth. Then there are those that He loses. If you think they don't break His heart, then you would be wrong. He fights for us all, and gives each of us every opportunity to turn to Him.
He knows what we often don't want to admit: we all need the Gardener. My plants won't live if I turn away. Neither will we, if we turn from Him.
But for those whose roots are firmly enmeshed in His foundation? We will grow.

P.S. I'm so glad to be writing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment